[Avodah] Cellphones on Shabbos

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 15:52:00 PST 2019

There is currently a thread on Areivim titled "more than one quarter of MO
youth admit to using their phones on Shabbos", in which R' Danny Schoemann
commented:

> And I'm sure on Avoda we've discussed why and how using a phone
> is Chillul Shabbos. If not, then maybe we should.

I can very easily understand people for whom the temptation is so great
that they succumb occasionally or even often. But I don't think that's what
you're asking. Are you suggesting that these kids honestly don't realize
that using a cell phone on Shabbos is assur?

It seems to me:

Even the most basic listing of the 39 Melachos is more complicated than is
needed for this discussion. A discussion of Kavod Shabbos would also be
counterproductive.

Just ask them: "You don't turn lights on and off, do you? What the
difference between that and everything that lights up on the screen?"

Or ask them: "You wouldn't write something with pen and paper, would you?
How is texting any different?"

I concede that if we wanted to, we could get involved with all sorts of
lomdish chakiras to answer those questions. But none will make a nafka mina
regarding mutar/assur. They are all d'Oraisa/d'Rabanan distinctions,
distracting us from the main point, which is that there is no way to use a
cellphone on Shabbos except for legitimate medical needs.

Kol hamosif gore'a.

Comments?

Akiva Miller