[Avodah] A Modern Orthodox Hedgehog

Allen Gerstl acgerstl at mail.hotmail.com
Wed Dec 18 05:32:33 PST 2019

I would propose that rather than Torah **U**Madah that the Rambam's
concept of Madah as an important part of Torah rather than as an adjunct
to Torah should be considered and that his form of Deveikut should be
considered as the "hedgehog" being sought.

The latter means that Madah is part of "Talmud" (Lehavin davar me-toch
davar) which is the third of the tripartite division of Torah learning:
Tanach, Mishnah (halachah) and Talmud. As a part of Talmud, Science
(Maasei Bereishit) and Metaphysical Philosophy (Maasei Merkavah) involves
knowing the works of HKBH with the goal of doing so to become closer
to Him through evoking what is ultimately deep love (Ahava) of HKBH and
wanting to "partner" with him in also helping the world fulfill His will
and achieving such closeness.

Please see the Morah Nevuchim 3:54

        ...[T]he perfection, in which man can truly glory, is attained by
        him when he has acquired--as far as this is possible for man--the
        knowledge of God, the knowledge of His Providence, and of the
        manner in which it influences His creatures in their production
        and continued existence. Having acquired this knowledge he will
        then be determined always to seek loving-kindness, judgment,
        and righteousness, and thus to imitate the ways of God. We have
        explained this many times in this treatise.

        God is near to all who call Him, if they call Him in truth,
        and turn to Him. He is found by every one who seeks Him, if he
        always goes towards Him, and never goes astray. ..."

This may in fact be a type of non-mystical Chassidus i.e. focusing
on love of HKBH and wishing to "partner" with Him (an element also of
HIrschianism) but reaching that point of intense love and devotion by
a different route. That is an authentic route taken by many role models
in our history.

Kol Tuv,
Eliyahu Gerstl,
Toronto, Canada