[Avodah] Fish and Meat eating

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 11 12:37:08 PST 2019

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 03:45:46AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> In y"d [the Tur] states that one should not eat meat and fish together.
> [Tur YD 116]

... because it is "qasheh latzara'as".

And I think the tzara'as connection is key.

Because now you have both chamira saqanta mei'issura AND the saqana has a
spiritual element.

> The source of both statements (please disagree if you think differently)
> seems to be the Talmud in Pesachim quoted by the beit Yosef
> [BY OC 173]

Pesachim 76b.

Which says the reason is "qashyeh lericha uldavar acheir", where the
"davar acheir" is taken by Rashi to be a reference to tzara'as.

> The gemara only talks about cooking them together in the same oven. Since
> this is an issue of danger, any understanding of how the prohibition
> got extended so far and did anybody else but the Rosh do it? (the kolbo
> refers to הר"ם-who is that? (the Rambam doesn't mention it)

https://www.sefaria.org/Kol_Bo.23.38

Usually, the Kol Bo's HR"M or HaRam beMaza"l (cute play on "haRambam
za"l") is indeed the Rambam. And his next line quotes the Raavad about
a teshuvos haqadmonim that says tht macyim acharonim is only for cleanliness
and thus has no berakhah. Thus lumping together haRa"m's hand washing
with mayim acharonim as a cleanliness thing. But in either case, going
from Ra"M to Raavad does at least weakly imply we mean *that* Ra"M.

So yes, I believe he is repeating a maaseh shehayah that the Rambam washed
his hands beween meat and milk, even though much is said about there
being no mention of meat-and-fish problems in the Yad. But the Rambam
(Rotzeiach 11:5) has harsh words for people who ignore the gemara's
warnings of saqanos. He only mentions mashqim shenisgalu. But it could
well be that the Rambam only needed the one example, because he felt
that the list of dangers is a metzzi'us, not individual dinim.

Micha Berger                 "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "I am thought about, therefore I am -
Author: Widen Your Tent      my existence depends upon the thought of a
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch