[Avodah] Vayishlach Brotherly Love

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Dec 8 07:15:44 PST 2019

One of the most moving scenes in the entire Torah is when Esau and Jacob meet after 20 years. Chapter 33, verse 4, says: "Esau ran toward him, embraced him, fell upon his neck, and kissed him;  then they wept."

The Netziv points out that all the verbs in this verse are in the first person and refer to Esau. "He ran, he embraced him; hefell upon his neck, he kissed him and they cried." All the verbs are in the (third person) singular, except the last one: "theycried."

Both Jacob and Esau cried—such human drama and emotion! They cried. That's the very factor that made their meeting a success. Without both feeling the emotion, neither could feel the emotion.  The connection of brothers is a paradigm for the connection of nations.
We need each other, and in order to laugh together, we first must cry together.

The Netziv goes on to say the day will come when Esau will truly embrace his brother Jacob in honest unadulterated compassion, then both brothers will cry in happiness. May we live to see this day!