[Avodah] benefit the deceased ?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 30 19:20:03 PDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 09:35:53PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Does an aveil (mourner) who acts as a shatz (prayer leader) benefit the
> deceased if the minyan doesn't appreciate his doing so [he's not mrutzeh
> (e.g. he mispronounces many words, his pace differs from community
> norms...)]

How can it be? It's not like the chiyuv for the amud is really a chiyuv.
Even qaddish is minhag -- and he could say that without taking the amud.

For example, they say that R' Yisrael Salanter held that giving the amud to
the other aveil is a better zekhus for the niftar than taking it yourself.

I think that the main reason why culture so emphasizes this one ritual
for aveilus is because of the number of people for which a year of going
to shul regularly is the start of taking minyan more seriously for the
rest of their lives.
So, if we find other ways to encourage shul attendance (Qaddish is still
an issue), even that motive is addressed.

Chodesh Tov!

Micha Berger                 "The worst thing that can happen to a
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   person is to remain asleep and untamed."
Author: Widen Your Tent             - Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, Alter of Kelm
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF