[Avodah] Age of the Universe

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Oct 25 07:14:20 PDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 06:31:49AM +0300, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
> These calculations are good for an instant. So he worked it out to get
> 13.74 billion years. The estimated age of the universe is constantly
> changing. As soon as scientists find sone new evidence, etc. and come up
> with a new age of the universe his calculation is wrong. Then what?

This is a problem with concordism in general. Look at how well the Rambam
held up.

However, if you believe there is only one emes, and aren't ready to
simply dismiss or ignore whatever evidence we do have, then you would
feel there is a duty to keep on finding convergence. Not in the tenor
of "science finally caught up to Torah", more "see, the two needn't
contradict; you don't have to choose."

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 When a king dies, his power ends,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but when a prophet dies, his influence is just
Author: Widen Your Tent      beginning.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                  - Soren Kierkegaard