[Avodah] Kaddish Yatom on Yom Kippur

Arie Folger arie.folger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 02:42:01 PDT 2019

On 17/10/19 3:42 pm, Reb Henry Topas via Avodah wrote:

> I am in a year of aveilut and it occurred to me that on Yom Kippur last
> week, following Shacharit, there was no further opportunity for an avel
> to say Kaddish during the Mussaf, Mincha or Neila parts of the tefilah.
> This would seem to further differentiate Yom Kippur from other days.
>
> Can anyone offer sources, comments or suggestions as to why this
> structure has been instituted?? Is it different in nuschaot other than
> Ashkenaz?

Reb Zev Zero gave an important part of the answer. But I want to take this
opportunity to express my astonishment that not more people are realizing
that the lack of 'Alenu after Mussaf isn't a minhag of Yom Kippur, but a
result of the original minhag, still practiced in Yekki communities, that
Alenu is not recited between two tefillot that follow immediately after one
another. I.e. when saying Ma'ariv immediately after Minchah, no 'Alenu is
said after Minchah, or, when Minchah is said immediately after Mussaf. In
many shuls, there is no break between Mussaf and Minchah (actually, no
break on Yom Kippur, period), which is why there is no 'Alenu. Since most
shuls, however, introduced a break between Mussaf and Minchah, it stands to
reason that we should say 'Alenu and Kaddish.
--
Arie Folger,
Visit my blog at http://rabbifolger.net/

<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/01/28/wir-missionieren-nicht-aber-warum-nicht/>