[Avodah] Sukkah on Shmini Atzeret

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Fri Oct 18 08:13:10 PDT 2019

From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:00 PM
> Not my experience at all. [AhS] does work hard to find justifications for
> things that people do -- but among Litvaks, not Chassidim. Well, let me
> tone that down, he'll try to find justification for what other qehillos
> do. BUT, when it comes to bottom line, it's Litta's mimetic tradition,
> not the practices of Chassidim.

He works hard to find bases for minhogim of many groups. His defense
of the chasidic customs that violate halokho, however seems to notable,
because he does it for all of the three or four cases that are directly
against all the poskim.

I am not enough of an expert to evaluate whether it is egregiously
different than his defense of other minhogim.

But it is fairly well known that he became a great admirer of the Tzemach
Tzedek after he first met him.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel