[Avodah] Sukka on Shmini Atzeres?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 17 14:14:43 PDT 2019

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 02:01:43PM +0000, Mandel, Seth via Avodah wrote:
> What Rabbi Spitz neglects to note is that every single one of the sources
> that justify not eating in the sukka are chassidim or fellow travelers

True. But the Minchas Elazar's validation of the practice is so cute
I just need to share it. (It's been a few years since the last time.)

The gemara writes (47a):
	meisiv ha yasvei, berukhi lo mevorkhei
Rav Huna bar Bizna and all the gedolei hador "sitting they would sit,
but the berakhah they didn't bless".

The Muncaczer wonder about the double language. Why wouldn't the gemara
just say "ha yasvei velo mvorkhei"? So he suggests that the gemara is
to be read as bitmiya: "Do you think sitting they would sit when the
berakhah they couldn't bless?!"

As I said, cute. Totally unconvincing to this Litvak, but I admit the
creativity.

Micha Berger                 The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   life which is required to be exchanged for it,
Author: Widen Your Tent      immediately or in the long run.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Henry David Thoreau