[Avodah] Jewish burial practice

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Oct 10 14:18:40 PDT 2019

On 10/10/19 4:47 am, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Any historical/halachic data on when and why Jewish burial practice
> changed from allowing the body to decay and then “burying” the bones, to
> the current practice?
> GT

As far as I know the old practice was necessary because EY is a rocky
country and it's hard to dig graves in rock.  In Bavel the practice
never existed, and in EY it changed when preserving all the arable land
for farming became less important.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5780 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper