[Avodah] Why is it permitted to dance and clap on Simchas Torah,

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 10 13:18:53 PDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 03:59:14PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
> When I said that ST is D'Rabbonon I meant that the second day of SA is
> D'Rabbonon.

Which means you're okay with banning ST celebrations in Israel?

In any case, the argument in the sources I cited revolves around clapping
and dancing being a shevus -- the prohibition being on a rabbinic level
because of the act, not because of the date.

Which is why the Tosafos and the Ritva make their argument about Shabbos.