[Avodah] Why is it permitted to dance and clap on Simchas Torah,

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Thu Oct 10 12:27:14 PDT 2019

At 02:48 PM 10/10/2019, Micha Berger wrote:
>That's not a quesiton on the MA or MB, the MA says "lekhavod
>haTorah mutar", citing the Mahariq. The MB is similar, but just cites
>"acharonim". He does say it's mussar on Simchas Torah, but it's not a
>waver specific to ST. Any chag when you're dancing lekhavod haTorah
>would be equally exempt.

ST is D'Rabbonon so IMO that is why dancing in permitted.  I do not
think that this permission would apply to Yomim Tovim that are
D'oreisa.  Thus, dancing on Shemini Atzeres in EY seems problematic
to me, since the Yom Tov there is D'oreisa. Indeed, it seems to me
that ST has no place in EY.  Originally in EY they followed a 3 or 3
and half year cycle for reading the Torah,  so there was originally
no completion of the Torah in EY each year as we have outside of EY.

For an excellent exposition on the development of ST see Ya'ari's
sefer Toldos Chag Simchas Torah.

YL