[Avodah] Size of Canaanite Population

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 10 07:23:52 PDT 2019

One of the things Bible Critics leap on is the idea that some 2-3 million
Jews were living in Egypt, and if they did, they should have had no problem
conquering Kenaan. As they see things, the population of these regions
were to low, that the incoming BY would have overwhelmed them by sheer
numbers.

This had led to some odd interepretations, like defining "elef" as
"clan" or "battle unit" (think "aluf"), and thus cutting off the numbers
of each sheivet at the hundred. Which then requires saying that later
editing changed the national totals to so that the number of alafim in
the national total reflects addition with carry from the me'os.

Well, now archeologists have reason to believe their whole scheme for
estimating the population in Kenaan was totally off. Here's a whole
6,000 person city that they're dating back to before Noach. By the
time the Kenaanim get to the scene....

See https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/archaeologists-bronze-age-new-york-city-israel
or numberous other links.

They really have to rethink their entire view of Bronze Age populations.

Micha Berger                 "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "I am thought about, therefore I am -
Author: Widen Your Tent      my existence depends upon the thought of a
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch