[Avodah] With One Possible Exception

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 2 15:57:20 PDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 04:44:52PM +0000, Jay F. Shachter via Avodah wrote:
>> In the Torah, you will not find a "she-" prefix.  HQBH uses "asher".

> With one possible exception: "bshaggam", which we will be reading in a
> few weeks.

I know Rashi says it's like "beshegam" with a segol, and then explains
it as "bishvil shegam". And maybe the Torah contracts "asher" only
when sandwitched after a be-? It would explain the uniqueness.

But I find Ibn Ezra's comparison to the shin in shekhakha (in "ashrei
ha'am shekakha lo") more compelling, and the Ramban did too.

The Netziv has the shin as part of the shoresh, as in "mishagmaso".

Etc...

As RJFS writes, it's "one *possible* exception".

GCT!

Micha Berger                 The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   isn't complete with being careful in the laws
Author: Widen Your Tent      of Passover. One must also be very careful in
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    the laws of business.    - Rav Yisrael Salanter