[Avodah] Shema before Shkiah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 27 12:10:59 PDT 2019

It is now typical for a minyan that is davening Maariv before sheqi'ah
that at the end someone announces a reminder to repeat Shema.

I am not sure the MA would have seen the need.

Here's the maqor. The SA (72:2) prohibits taking the meis out for
qevurah immediately before the time for QS.

The MA (s"q 2) says that while this sounds like it is including both
morning and evening Shema, he would be meiqil by Q"Sh shel aevis,
evening.

The AhS (OC 72:2) says that since zeman qeri'as Shema is the whole night,
the minhag is to wait until after the qevurah, and then say Shema. After
all, there is basically no risk of not having time to say it after
qevurah. And oseiq bemitzvah patur min hamitzvah.

But this isn't until after he cites Magein Avraham s"q 2, who says that
if it's after pelag haminchah, it is better to say Shema before the
burial.

So, apparently to the MA, saying Shema before sheqi'ah is less problematic
than pushing it off.

Not sure that means your gabbai's reminded is overkill, since we aren't
noheig like the MA anyway. (For the AhS's definition of "we".)

Which brings me to something else I found intriguing. What does "ve'ein
haminhag kein" mean in this context? Were people being brought to qevurah
just before sunset frequently enough to maintain a stable minhag? Doesn't
it sound like the kind of rare question the chevra would ask a rav, rather
than do what we always do?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 Friendship is like stone. A stone has no value,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but by rubbing one stone against another,
Author: Widen Your Tent      sparks of fire emerge.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                - Rav Mordechai of Lechovitz