[Avodah] The Most Regrettable Feature of Human Nature (according to JRR Tolkien)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 27 07:04:19 PDT 2019

This struck me as too seasonably appropriate not to share.

JRR Tolkien started writing "The New Shadow", a sequel to Lord of the Rings.
13 pages in, he decided that it was too "sinister and depressing" to continue.
But in the letter he wrote to his editor about stopping, he included
this sentence, which I think deserves much thought:

    Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be
    concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their
    quick satiety with good.

What do you think, is it "the most regrettable feature of [our] nature"?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 What we do for ourselves dies with us.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   What we do for others and the world,
Author: Widen Your Tent      remains and is immortal.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Albert Pine