[Avodah] Yehei Shemeih Rabba

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 10 17:47:53 PDT 2019

The AhS (OC 56:1,3) records a tradition that "shemeih" in Qaddish
is an allusion to "Shem Y-H". As in "ki Yad al Keis Kah..."

(And, regardless of allusion, since I don't think he's really saying
it's two words, RYME also says the hei in NOT mapiq. Weird. A question
for Mesorah, I guess.)

So that when we say "Yisgadeil veyisqadeish shemeih rabba" or "yehei
shemeih rabba mevorakh" we are asking for the completion of sheim
Y-H to the full sheim havayah through the end of milchamah H' baAmaleiq.

(Second diqduq tangent, the Rama says what I wrote above, the comma
is after "rabba", not before. Modifies "shemeih" not "mevorakh.)

Micha Berger                 A person lives with himself for seventy years,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and after it is all over, he still does not
Author: Widen Your Tent      know himself.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          - Rav Yisrael Salanter