[Avodah] How Fast Do You Daven

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 3 13:20:45 PDT 2019

On Sun, Sep 01, 2019 at 02:57:30PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
>>> ... The person then listens to that recording, and judges for
>>> himself whether or not he actually said the words well enough.

> R' Micha Berger responded:
>> This is a different goal, and I think your methodology would get
>> in the way of RBK's goal. ...
>> RBK wrote about going slow enough to think about peirush hamilim.
>> You are talking about going slow enough to actually say the words
>> clearly.

> I think it is safe to say that RMB and I agree that one's ultimate goal
> should include (among many other things) BOTH peirush hamilim and saying
> them clearly. The question on which we *might* disagree is the sequence of
> steps towards reaching that goal.

I just meant that RBK's exercise isn't specific to either goal, but
his verbiage was about peirush hamilim.
However, your exercise is specific to performing the mitzvah maasis
correctly and would get in the way of thinking about peirush hamilim.
(By giving the person something else to keep their mind on.) So, you
didn't really propose and alternative means to the same ends.

But since you did raise the topic of sequence...

I am reminded of the line where someone asked R Yisrael Salander that
since he only had 15 minutes to learn each day, should he learn Mussar
or the regular gefe"t (Gemara -- peirush [i.e. Rashi] -- Tosafos)?
RYS said that he should spend the time learning Mussar, and then he
would realize he really had more than 15 minutes!

Learn peirush hamilim, learn to care about tefillah and that one is
speaking with the Creator, and what kinds of things Anshei Keneses
haGdolah, Chazal and the geonim think that relationship should revolve
about.

Then you'll notice you're motivated to do it right.

But make tefillah into a frumkeit, a ritual with a list of boxes to
be checked, and I don't know if kavvanah would naturally follow.

Micha Berger                 People were created to be loved.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Things were created to be used.
Author: Widen Your Tent      The reason why the world is in chaos is that
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    things are being loved, people are being used.