[Avodah] reward for mitzvot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 3 12:55:05 PDT 2019

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 05:56:34AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> The Drashot Haran (Drasha #6) posits that while HKB"H set varying "gmul"
> (reward) for the 613 mitzvoth, he didn't tell us which (me-positive ones)
> had greater reward in order that we not focus only on those mitzvoth
> but rather try to do all in hopes that we include the high value targets.

Since lefum tzzara agra, the sekhar for a mitzvah depends on the situation
that a person finds themselves in and their own abilities to make the
right choice. So, wihtout knowing your own nequdas habechirah really well,
without fooling yourself, you couldn't know the value of a mitzvah.

And why tzadiqim are judged kechut hasa'arah.

(Still: We do rank mitzvos by the sekhar or onesh listed in the chumash
for qal vachomer purposes.)

Micha Berger                 A person must be very patient
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   even with himself.
Author: Widen Your Tent            - attributed to R' Nachman of Breslov
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF