[Avodah] How Fast Do You Daven

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 30 07:17:48 PDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:13:29PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
>  From R' Micha Berger:
>> R' Barry Kornblau posted this chart on Facebook.
>> http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/faxes/daveningSpeedChart.jpg

> For such people, I have an alternate suggestion: An individual should
> create an audio recording of him/herself, reciting some tefila in his usual
> way. The person then listens to that recording, and judges for himself
> whether or not he actually said the words well enough.

This is a different goal, and I think your methodology would get in the
way of RBK's goal. (Pity I don't habe an email address with which to
invite him to this conversation.)

RBK wrote about going slow enough to think about peirush hamilim.

You are talking about going slow enough to actually say the words clearly.

If you slow down by spending brain-time on how you are uttering the words,
you aren't freeing up attention to say them with meaning.

> Of course, there will be some people who, for the purposes of this
> experiment, will deliberately enunciate the words just a bit better than
> usual, to help the recording come out well. Such people don't really need
> to listen to the recording afterwards; they already have their answer.

I think there would be more people who simply because they're thinking
about the subject will end up on the better end of their bell curve
*without* consciously trying.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 What we do for ourselves dies with us.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   What we do for others and the world,
Author: Widen Your Tent      remains and is immortal.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Albert Pine