[Avodah] How Fast Do You Daven

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 27 18:34:29 PDT 2019

R' Barry Kornblau posted this chart on Facebook.
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/faxes/daveningSpeedChart.jpg

The chart opens with a list of talking speeds:
	Average speed of conversation: 110-150 words per minute
	Audio books are recited at:    150-160 wpm
	Auctioneers talk at a rate of: 250-400 wpm

Then multiplies these speeds out by the number of words in numerous
tefillos. For example, a 2.9 min Nusach Ashkenaz Shemoneh Esrei,
or a 3.3 min Nusach Sfard one means you're daveing at slow
auctioneer speed.

There is a whole table. See the picture at the link.

You might want to see where you stand; could help motivate slowing
down enough to think. At least it's been of help for me for the
past day or two.

Here is RBK's accompanying text
<https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156033864886534>:
    This Shabbat, my sermon noted that my upbringing in Reform Temple
    Beth El of Great Neck properly taught me, among other things, one
    basic halachah: the requirement to recite all one's prayers and
    blessings with feeling and understanding. One cannot do this while
    reciting the siddur at the speed of an auctioneer (daily amidah
    of 3 minutes, for example) as is routine for many Orthodox Jews;
    instead, one must speak slowly and enunciate deliberately - as is
    fitting for addressing the Master of All.
    #HowFastDoYouPray #PrayerSpeedLimit

And R Reuven Spolter blogged his response "The Pace of Tefillah: In
Defense of the Daily Minyan - the People Who Show Up Every Day" at
<https://choppingwood.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-pace-of-tefillah-in-defense-of.html>.

Micha Berger                 "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "I want to do it." - is weak.
Author: Widen Your Tent      "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk