[Avodah] 15 Av

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 23 12:33:19 PDT 2019

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 01:31:23AM +0100, allan.engel--- via Avodah wrote:
> The paradigm that allowed new derashos on pesukim (until 'sof mishna' -
> presumably the end of the era of Tannaim) explicitly allows for changes in
> halachic practice on the basis of new derashos.

And contrary to RAM's recollection -- one of them is Moavi velo Moavis.

Rus Rabba (parasha 2:9[4], 7:7[1], 7:10[5]) attributed to Ploni Almoni
in Meg' Rus a lack of belief in the brand-new derashah. And besides, what
will happen to my descendents if a later Sanhedrin pasqens differently?

I think the medrash also uses the idea to explain that Rus did indeed
convert twice -- once before the derashah, and once after.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "I want to do it." - is weak.
Author: Widen Your Tent      "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk