[Avodah] Boray M'oray Ha'esh on Tisha B'Av

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 15 15:10:46 PDT 2019

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 09:05:21PM +0100, allan.engel--- via Avodah wrote:
> I have never understood why, when Tisha B'av is after Shabbos, we don't
> make havdala on wine after the seuda (before shkia), which is permissible
> every shabbos after plag hamincha (without that candle, of course)...

Permissable, but undesirable. The SA (OC 293:3) writes:
   Someone who is anoos, such as if he has to enter the dark at the
   techum for a devar mitzvah...

("Enter the dark" was my attempt to render "lehachshikh".)

Arguably 9 beAv is equally lidvar mitzvah. But still, this doesn't sound
like it is definitely the better solution, and I am guessing the minhag
is what it is because it is indeed better to wait.

Another thing is that I see the AS places havdalah after maariv in that
situation (continuing from where I left off):
    he can daven for motza"sh from pelag haminchah onward and make
    havdalah immediately -- but he shouldn't make the berakhah on the
    candle. And similarly he is prohibited from doing melakhah until
    tzeis hakokhavim.

And after maariv... I am guessing that would qualify as tosefes 9 beAv.
But that assumes the order is davqa

Micha Berger                 Strength does not come from winning. Your
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   struggles develop your strength When you go
Author: Widen Your Tent      through hardship and decide not to surrender,
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    that is strength.        - Arnold Schwarzenegger