[Avodah] Not wearing tefillin shel yad protector

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 9 07:58:30 PDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 09:05:51PM -0400, Akiva Miller wrote:
> R' Micha Berger quoted the Aruch Hashulchan:
> At the end of the se'if, in kesav Rashi parenthesis, RYME writes:
>> [Yeish she'ein mesirin hatiq shel yad meihatefilin gam be'eis tefillah,
>> ve'ein nakhon la'asos kein.]

> Double negatives drive me crazy!!!

But in Tanakh and Rabbinic Hebrew they are common.

I think the problem you have is more caused by the imprecision of "kein".
It could refer to "yeish shei'ein mesirin..." or "mesirin hatiq".

The comment is in a parenthetic code to a se'if about how tzipui with
gold or the leather of a non-kosher species would invalidate one's
tefillin.
https://www.sefaria.org/Arukh_HaShulchan%2C_Orach_Chaim.32.88

IOW, the discussion is motive to UNcover tefillin.

I understood RYME as saying it is improper to leave the paper boxes
-- or today's plastic one -- on, but not a pesul like if it were
a more permanent tzipui.

I never heard of people being maqpid to remove the cover of the shel
yad, so I shared with RGD and the tzibbur to see if anyone had.

Or if I misunderstood what kind of tiq he's talking about.

Micha Berger                 Zion will be redeemed through justice,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and her returnees, through righteousness.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF