[Avodah] Eitzah Sheena Hogenet

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 31 10:51:59 PDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 09:06:53PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Vayikra 25:17 states, "V'lo tonu ish et amito" ("And you shall not wrong
: one man his fellow Jew"). Rashi comments that this includes onaat dvarim,
: which includes giving inappropriate advice (Eitzah Sheena Hogenet)...

... to the benefit of the yo'eitz. Which is why the pasuq continues
"veyareisa meiElokekha, ki ani H' Elokeikhem" -- Someone Knows your
motives.

Which makes sense, given how ona'as mamon is also about taking advantage
of the other for one's own benefit.

So I think Rashi himself provides a chiluq. Onaas devarim is to help
oneself, whereas lifnei iveir is to harm the advised.

Not that that chiluq would help with hasraah, since the eidim aren't
presumably mindreaders. I guess if the yo'eitz tells a third party what
he's doing and why? (Eg When making fun of the rube.)

But, is there an onesh for there to give hasraah for? Aside frm the
BALM nature of either issur, they can be done with diffur alone --
lav she'ein bo maaseh.

Micha Berger                 For a mitzvah is a lamp,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   And the Torah, its light.
Author: Widen Your Tent                      - based on Mishlei 6:2
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF