[Avodah] The Definition of G-d

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 26 11:20:00 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:43:24AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: > Notice that for the purposes of the mitzvah of Emunah, believing in
: > Yetzias Mitzrayim and Matan Torah are not distint mitzvos from belief
: > in G-d. Rather, RYMS holds that if you do not believe Hashem did these
: > things, you believe in a different G-d.
:
: Or, you believe in the same G-d but are not fulfilling the mitzvah, because
: you don't believe what the Torah says about Him...

But why aren't you fulfilling the mitzvah?

Either the mitzvah has one part or multiple parts. Meaning:
- The mitzvah has one part, to believe in HQBH, but without yetzi'as
  Mitzrayim and matan Torah the god you're believing in isn't him.(As
  I assumed. Or
- The mitzvah requires belief in a list of (at least) three things.

This second possiblity didn't cross my mind. Perhaps because the
Chinukh calls the mitzvah the Chinukh called "leha'amin Bashem", not
"leha'amin be-" list of items. AND< there are beliefs about HQBH that
I would have thought would more natually have been on such a list --
(2) shelo lehaamin lezulaso and (3) leyachado.

: Otherwise you end up saying that if I believe in a G-d Who intentionally
: made the leaf I'm looking at fall when and where it did, and you believe in
: an almost-identical G-d Who didn't make that decision, then we're somehow
: believing in different gods...

Or that these two events are unique, that they say something about Who
Hashem Is that the leaf does not.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 The thought of happiness that comes from outside
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   the person, brings him sadness. But realizing
Author: Widen Your Tent      the value of one's will and the freedom brought
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    by uplifting its, brings great joy. - R' Kook