[Avodah] The Definition of G-d

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 25 12:34:33 PDT 2019

Do Jews and Moslems believe in the same G-d, they just are in error about
many of His values and about some of the things He did? Or are any of
these differences about claims that are definitional of Who Hashem Is,
and therefore A-llah doesn't refer to the one True G-d?

My question is clearer when we talk about Christianity. Is the trinity
a misunderstanding about the Borei, or the depiction of a fictitious god?

In AhS OC 1:14, RYME quotes the 3rd pesichah to the Seifer haChinukh
about the 6 constant mitzvos. The first:
    To believe there there is one G-d in the world, Who created this
    great Creation. He was, Is and Will be until the end of time. He
    took us out from Mitzrayim and gave us the Torah.
    This is included in the verse of "I am H' your G-d who took
    you out of Mitzrayim."

Notice that for the purposes of the mitzvah of Emunah, believing in
Yetzias Mitzrayim and Matan Torah are not distint mitzvos from belief
in G-d. Rather, RYMS holds that if you do not believe Hashem did these
things, you believe in a different G-d.

And the phrasing of the first of the 10 Diberos does seem to back him
up.

Micha Berger                 It's never too late
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   to become the person
Author: Widen Your Tent      you might have been.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                    - George Eliot