[Avodah] Starbucks Redux

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 22 06:16:28 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 04:01:42PM -0400, Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer via Avodah wrote:
: The Star-K has launched a frontal assault on Starbucks.
: https://www.star-k.org/articles/kosher-lists/1709/starbucks/

As RAM already noted (but I already had more details in my draft of this
email, so I'm sending it anyway), what was essentially this page went
up some time between archive.org's scans of the page on May 18th and
Jul 20th 2018.
https://web.archive.org/web/diff/20180518224907/20180720085723/https://www.star-k.org/articles/kosher-lists/1709/starbucks

The only change from last year and last week is that they fixed the
placement of bottled drinks from the hot to the cold category.
https://web.archive.org/web/diff/20180720085723/20180925130654/https://www.star-k.org/articles/kosher-lists/1709/starbucks

As we concluded last year, they really say little about any change in
kashrus at Starbucks. Rather, they warn you that Starbucks turned off
their flow of information, so the star-K cannot make informed comments
anymore.

The changes in the charts between May and June 2018 reflects a loss of
detail and a more general "X" where before the list was itemized and
might have an "X" or two. Reflecting the increased uncertainty.

But they don't actually say there is a problem. This is totally like
the cRc which is saying certain regular practices there will treif up
you coffee. The star-K is saying they cannot verify a lack of problem,
and therefore they offer "safety" guidelines.

Micha Berger                 The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   isn't complete with being careful in the laws
Author: Widen Your Tent      of Passover. One must also be very careful in
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    the laws of business.    - Rav Yisrael Salanter