[Avodah] Q. I am learning to play a musical instrument. May I practice during the Three Weeks?

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Jul 19 08:24:35 PDT 2019

>From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

A. One who is learning to play an instrument may practice during the Three Weeks. It is permitted since this is a learning experience and thus is not considered deriving pleasure from the music. Only listening to music which evokes pleasure is prohibited during the Three Weeks (Moadei Yeshurun p. 151:18 citing Noam Vol. 11 p. 195). However, after Rosh Chodesh Av it is preferable that this be done in a secluded place (ibid. 151:19 in the name of Rav Moshe Feinstein, zt”l). There are those who prohibit practicing after Rosh Chodesh Av (Shearim HaMetzuyanim B’Halacha 122:2) when the mourning over the destruction of the Bais HaMikdash intensifies, since there would normally not be a negative effect if one doesn’t practice for nine days (Shu”t Betzeil HaChochma Vol. 6:61). Others prohibit practicing only during the week in which Tisha B’Av falls (Shu”t Tzitz Eliezer Vol. 16:19) when the mourning intensifies even further.

In light of the statement "Only listening to music which evokes pleasure is prohibited during the Three Weeks"  I wonder if I am allowed to listen to most modern day music with gives me no pleasure during the 3 weeks.

YL