[Avodah] Gender inequality in Jewish weddings

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 16 07:39:08 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 06:03:32PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: Beautiful article about how the roles of the kallah and chasan are not
: balanced.
: https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/lord-or-lady-of-the-rings-should-an-orthodox-chuppah-be-more-gender-balanced/
:
:
: Here's a little spoiler from it:
: > That's why the bride plays a more active role in a traditional
: > Jewish wedding, while the groom is more passive.

But untrue. We Ashkenazim have a minhag to walk around the man 7 times.
Unlike the man's giving a kesuvah and declaration, not to mention her
entering /his/ chuppah, a regional minhag, and obviously not me'aqev.

And while we're talking about not me'aqev, who does the bedekin? Whether
the Ashkenazi version or the Sepharadi at-the-beginning-of-the aisle form,
in both cases it's the man who is active.

She picks up her finger to accept the ring. In a sense, it's demonstating
that the qiddushin is with her agreement. But it's part of *his* giving
the ring. Calling that her dominating the show is specious.