[Avodah] Darshening etim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jul 14 13:17:56 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:06:30PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: The language of the story has his students questioning what will happen to
: all his previous drashot and his answering he'll get reward anyway. The
: answer doesn't seem to directly address the question. Perhaps they were
: asking whether the halacha will change or will other drashot be found
: to replace these?

Maybe this is proof to the Raaavad that derashos were found /after/
the din was known?

And even according to the Rambam, I don't see how Shimshon haAmsoni
could have confidence in any dinim he created with a derashah he wasn't
sure would work yet. The experiment only makes sense if he was looking
to source pre-existing dinim. So I would think the Rambam too might
consider this story an exception.

As further evidence, Hilkhos Mamrim gives a beis din, not an individual
to create laq through derashah.

Micha Berger                 I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   if only because it offers us the opportunity of
Author: Widen Your Tent      self-fulfilling prophecy.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                            - Arthur C. Clarke