[Avodah] A Day to Disconnect

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 4 11:01:16 PDT 2019

All this talk of Shabbos as a day to disconnect from phone, whatsapp and
facetime, from social media, from the internet, from television and its
replacements made me think...

I mean, if we were talking about feeling flooded by work email in
particular, that would be one thing. But that doesn't seem to be the
thrust of this kind of marketing Shabbos.

Historically, we noted that "melakhah" refers to creative activity
in particular. And thus Shabbos was an imitation of Hashem's taking a
break from creating so that we could have a day on which to just be --
vayinafash.

Now, we are viewing Shabbos as a break from filling our time basically
doing nothing...

I see this more as an observation about those 6 days.

There was a time when our lives revolved around sowing and plowing,
shearing and weaving, trapping and tanning, building and repairing.

Now we spend our days typing and communicating. But not in a socially
binding way, but in a manner that stresses us out to the point where we
can be excited by the idea of a day off from it.

They did, we critique.

Chodesh Tov!

Micha Berger                 Good decisions come from experience;
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Experience comes from bad decisions.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - Djoha, from a Sepharadi fable
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF