[Avodah] Hanging Tzitzis to fulfil all opinions -- can it be done?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 22 12:09:22 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:41:52AM +0300, Danny Schoemann via Avodah wrote:
: You seem to have forgotten that the AhS in 16:5
: (https://www.sefaria.org.il/Arukh_HaShulchan%2C_Orach_Chaim.16.5)
: says that a Tallis Qatan doesn't require a minimum Shiur.
:
: In which case it would require Kosher Tzitzis - what am I missing?

Well, first, could be derabbanan.

Second, he doesn't go that far, as you may have seen in an email I
wrote on this thread after yours, because when it comes to hilkhos
Shabbos and hotza'ah, RYME doesn't consider the question that
closed.

In any case, I was saying lekhol hadei'os, just using the AhS's
presentation of those dei'os.

The question was how to thread the needle between the minimum
distance of almost 2 godelim from the hole you thread the tzitzis
to to the edges and the maximum of 3 gedolim if you want to be
yotzei everyone from the CI's version of the minimum to the Rambam's
version of the maximum.

Inherently we are looking at shitos other than RYME's. Otherwise, we
could just use his statement (OC 16:4) that the beged's 3/4 ammah is 9
vershok, yeilding a 53.3 ammah, from which we get a 2.2cm etzba.

Micha Berger                 For a mitzvah is a lamp,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   And the Torah, its light.
Author: Widen Your Tent                      - based on Mishlei 6:2
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF