[Avodah] Apollo 11

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jul 14 10:47:01 PDT 2019

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 11:41:58PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: I imagine that some listmembers could argue that this question is a mere
: discussion of history, and belongs on Areivim. If that's the decision of
: the moderator I won't complain. But I really am wondering if there's a
: mussar here for us. If Apollo 11 lasted exactly the length of the Nine
: Days, was that really a coincidence? Or is there a message? What would have
: appeared in Mishpacha or the Yated? What *did* appear in the Jewish
: Observer?

That depends in part on your metaphysics.

Someone with strong rationalist inclinations may not believe in
omnisiginificance, and coincidences do happen.

Someone a little less rationalist who does believe that nothing is ever
by chance or arbitrary might believe there must be a lesson.

Someone more mystically inclined might instead say their is a metaphysical
cauaal connection, something aout the energy of the 9 days that made
the moon landing possible. And not necessarily a lesson for us.

Micha Berger                 I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   I have found myself, my work, and my God.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - Helen Keller
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF