[Avodah] Darshening etim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jun 27 17:03:50 PDT 2019

On 26/6/19 6:06 pm, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:

> The language of the story has his students questioning what will
> happen to all his previous drashot and his answering he’ll get reward
> anyway. The answer doesn’t seem to directly address the question.
> Perhaps they were asking whether the halacha will change or will
> other drashot be found to replace these?
I have always understood that they were asking whether his life's work
was wasted, and he answered that it was not, because it was an honest
attempt at determining the Torah's meaning, so it counts as talmud
Torah, whereas had he spent his life trying to prove a mathematical
theorem that turned out to be wrong it would indeed have been wasted.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper