[Avodah] Paying your workers on time using electronic payments

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Jun 24 07:58:06 PDT 2019

On 24/6/19 7:37 am, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> While we’re on the topic is it clear that fiat money which certainly
> did not exist at matan Torah is considered cash?
Coins probably didn't exist at matan Torah either.  A shekel was a
weight, and you would pay by putting bits of metal on a scale until you
had enough.  And by Chazal's day coins had become a form of "fiat
money", since they were often underweight but were expected to be
accepted at their official weight.

At any rate I've seen a teshuva of the Chasam Sofer saying that "kesef"
means whatever the local government has designated as currency, and
circulates as such.  (If the government's currency doesn't circulate,
this invalidates the government.)  So that a paper bill is not a shtar
but kesef.

(We've discussed the history of coins before.  Secular archaeology says
  they were invented in the late Bayit Rishon era.  But this seems to
conflict with Chazal's understanding of "Vetzarta Hakesef".)

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper