[Avodah] Credit cards and kinyonim

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 03:12:57 PDT 2019

.

R' Marty Bluke asked:

> The other option is situmta which is whatever is common practice
> to close a deal is considered a kinyan.
> However, if we go with situmta then basically we can ask why does
> the Torah have this elaborate set of kinyonim and so much Torah
> is devoted to them when they are basically irrelevant and have
> been superseded by a man made system?

1) We still need to know what the default values are, in situations where
there isn't any established common practice.

2) If one believes that every situation does have a common practice, and
therefore these halachos have zero practical value, there is still a
mitzvah of Talmud Torah to learn them. It could be that we were given these
halachos specifically for that purpose. Personally, I am a very
practice-oriented person, and the lack of practicality in these situations
drives me crazy. And then I remind myself that the failing is not in the
subject matter, but in myself, and perhaps the whole reason for these
halachos is the improve my neshama.

Akiva Miller