[Avodah] Man and Woman He Created Them: Torah View of Transgender

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 11 18:26:33 PDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 06:02:38PM +0000, Lawrence Levine via Avodah wrote:
: This topic was discussed by Rabbi Efrem Goldberg in 2015.  You may listen to his talk at
: https://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/837346

Related is the beraisa on the top of Yevamos 83a in which R' Yosi says
an andogynous is a berya bifnei atzmo, and the discussion as to whether
the beraisa has authority in the face of a mishnah.

However, the notion of a middle sex is at least taken seriously, and not
"merely" as a safeiq sex.

However, I haven't seen any ground in the Torah for the sex vs gender
distinction being used to model these things in modern Western discourse.

Micha Berger                 Imagine waking up tomorrow
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   with only the things
Author: Widen Your Tent      we thanked Hashem for today!
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF