[Avodah] Shva Na's etc.

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun May 19 06:40:55 PDT 2019

On 17/5/19 4:08 pm, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:

> I once asked someone more knowledgeable than me, and his answer was that
> for this purpose, "The chataf-patach counts as a sheva. This word has
> only two syllables. It is mi'l'eil."
>
> He seemed to mean that the first syllable is "poa". I was stunned, and
> walked away, disabused of the idea that I knew what a syllable is...

As grammarians count them, rather than as ordinary people do, sh'va na
is not a real vowel and does *not* make a syllable.  A sh'va at the
beginning of a vowel becones na, and a chataf is just a fancy kind of
sh'va na.   Therefore the official syllables in "poalei" are "po" and
"alei".

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper