[Avodah] Exactly when did we leave Mitzrayim?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Apr 30 15:24:08 PDT 2019

On 30/4/19 1:26 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> I think looking for a firm border is anachronistic anyway. Control kind
> of faded away as you reach the no man's land of the desert. Think the
> European city-state -- there was more or less sovereignty over areas
> further from the city, depending on roads, distance, etc...
>
> And before any real cartography? I don't think the notion of "drawing
> lines", hard demarcations, would have crossed anyone's mind.

And yet the Torah demarcates the borders of Eretz Yisrael, and the
Tanach gives the intertribal borders.  It also says that Edom had
borders which we could not cross, and that the Arnon was the border
between Emor and Moav, etc.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper