[Avodah] lifestyle choices

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 24 18:58:35 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:32:16PM -0400, Joshua Meisner via Avodah wrote:
: In the Hakdama to the Shaarei Yosher, R' Shimon Shkop notes the absurdity
: of thinking that the command kedoshim tihyu/perushim tihyu ki kadosh Ani
: means asceticism as a goal within itself. Would it even be coherent to
: suggest that Hashem does not eat too much, does not sleep too much, etc.?
: Instead, he redefines/redirects ascetism to altruism...

I formulated it differently.

RSS defines qedushah as commitment to a given goal.

Li nir'eh this explains "harei at mequdeshes li" -- it's a statement of
her exclusive commitment.

Qedushah in the sense of holiness is leshitaso commitment to our purpose.
In addition, RSS says that purpose is "vehalakhta bidrakhav", and thus,
being meitiv others.

This will mean that anything that distracts us from this purpose is to
be avoided. The medrash's "qedoshim tihyu - perushim tihyu" is necessary
for humans, since we have multiple desires and motives that can come
into conflict. However, as the medrash continues "Qedushasi lemaalah
miqedushaskhem" -- Hashem has One Plan, and He is fully committed to it
without the possibility of distraction.

But also, anything we enjoy in order to enable helping others, including
*necessary* downtime, is also holy.

:-)||ii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 4th day
micha at aishdas.org        in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Chesed: When is Chesed an
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           imposition on others?