[Avodah] Making Gebrokts This Year

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Apr 12 02:34:02 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 07:01:25PM +0000, Shlomo Gertzulin via Avodah wrote:
: I believe that in years like this one, they only prepare the gebrocks
: food on the seventh day which is Friday but don't actually eat it until
: Friday night or Shabbos. I'm not aware of anyone who doesn't eat gebrocks
: who actually eats it this year on the 7th Day.

With geborchts, the minhag is based on a fear that one might end up with
actual chameitz. The odds are small enough that for halakhah the risk
is ignorible. But on the level of minhag, and when chameitz is assur
deOraisa...

So why aren't you worried about bal yeira'eh as much as akhilah? If you
can't eat gebrochts for 7 days, how can you own it?

Is it akhlah's issur qareis? Or is it that there is damage done al pi
qabbalah when eating that isn't done when owning? (And are those two
possibilities really seperable?)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             For a mitzvah is a lamp,
micha at aishdas.org        And the Torah, its light.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - based on Mishlei 6:2
Fax: (270) 514-1507