[Avodah] Making Gebrokts This Year

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Apr 11 16:18:28 PDT 2019

On 10/4/19 2:56 pm, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:

> I know for a fact that there are those who make Gebrokts this year on
> the Seventh day of Pesach.  To me this is hard to understand.  If
> Gebrokts is a problem during the first 7 days of Pesach,  then how can
> one make Gebrokts this year on the Seventh Day?

If it were a real halachic problem then it could not be eaten on the
eighth day either.  But it is not a real halachic problem, it is only a
chumra, because a cheshash of chometz.  Al pi din one does not have to
worry about this cheshash, and one may eat it even on the first day,
which is why nobody has any objection whatsoever to your choice to do
so; but since it *is* a real cheshash there are many who choose to be
stricter during the first seven days.  That doesn't make it forbidden.
So when the eighth day is on Shabbos the only question that arises is
whether to prepare it on the Friday using the eruv tavshilin, or to do
so on Erev Yomtov.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper