[Avodah] Showering during shiva

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Apr 7 08:44:24 PDT 2019

On 7/4/19 3:35 am, Ari Kahn via Avodah wrote:
> Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 11:04:14 -0400
> From: Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>
>> Does anyone know whether there's a general consensus among contemporary
>> American rabbonim about showering during shiva, for the average American
>> who is used to showering every day, or at the very least every other
>> day?  Surely we are not less astheneses in this regard than Rabbon
>> Gamliel.  During the 9 days most if not all American rabbonim seem to
>> pasken this way, but do they do the same for shiva?

> Regarding showering during the Shiva -- this post may be of interest
> -- especially footnote 8 -- citing Rav Moshe Soloveitchik -- who
> according to the Rav -- felt not such custom or law currently exists
> <https://arikahn.blogspot.com/2012/07/is-it-permissible-to-shower-during-nine.html>

I don't see it.  He says there is currently no minhag not to bathe
during *shloshim*, and therefore also the nine days.  I don't see where
he says anything about shiva.  Everyone agrees that in principle bathing
is forbidden during shiva -- except for an istenis.  The question is
whether we all fall into that exception.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper