[Avodah] Lashon haRa in the Shulchan Aruch

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 2 20:02:02 PDT 2019

It is often asked why no one tackled hilkhos shemiras halashon untik
the CC. Or more pointedly, what changed in the early 20th cent that we
suddenly needed those laws codified.

I passed it in AhS Yomi (which finished its cycle today, Tues Apr 2).
The context is boshes, among the 5 payments in neziqin. After discussing
ona'ase devarm, CM 420. Around se'if 50 the AhS discusses LH and rechilus,
and continues in following se'ifim like how to do teshuvah when the
person it's about was dead.

Not much, but it's there.

Most insterestingly is the linkage between these issurim and neziqin.
LH is a nezeq that's boshes but none of the other 4.

So then I turned to the SA. Se'ifim 38-40 deal with ona'ah, and within
them, the Rama talks about the bushah caused by talking about someone
to a third party. The neared I could find.

Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,
http://www.aishdas.org   you must know where to slaughter and what
Fax: (270) 514-1507      parts to offer.        - R' Simcha Zissel Ziv