[Avodah] Mishkan vis a vis Ohel Moed

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sat Mar 23 20:19:07 PDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 05:43:34PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: 40:34) The cloud covered the Ohel Moed, and Kavod Hashem filled the Mishkan.
: 40:35) Moshe was not able to enter the Ohel Moed, because the cloud rested
: on it, and Kavod Hashem filled the Mishkan.

: From this repetitious wording, it seems clear me that "Ohel Moed" and
: "Mishkan" are two different things...

: 3) Some said both terms refer to the same central structure.

I think that Ohel Mo'eid refers to the enclosed structure of the Miskan,
when it refers to the Mishkan. If the term included the chatzeir which
has no roof, calling it an "ohel" would be odd.

However, Ohel Mo'eid is a more generic term for a structure where the
Shechinah could be experienced. Moshe's place of prophecy when it was
outside the camp was also called an Ohel Mo'eid. Shemos 33:6-11.

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,
http://www.aishdas.org   you must know where to slaughter and what
Fax: (270) 514-1507      parts to offer.        - R' Simcha Zissel Ziv