[Avodah] [CC] Gripes and Grumbles

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 02:56:40 PDT 2019

.
R' Micha Berger wrote:

> But the only way to get out of this hole is to get away from
> scolding mispallelim or to impose decorum as a rule, and to
> give the tzibbur self-motivation.

On the one hand, I feel very much as you do about the problem. As
regards a solution, though, I'm stumped.

It seems to me that "to give self-motivation" is a contradiction in
terms. "Self-motivation" means that it springs from something
internal. How can that be given from an outsider?

How can we give *any*thing to someone who is uninterested in it? How
can we make someone *self*-motivated, without making them feel scolded
or imposed upon?

The only idea I can come up with is to do absolutely nothing -
nothing! - aside from trying to set a good example. In my experience,
this procedure tends to have a depressingly small success rate. But
that's still better than the negative results that come from scolding
and imposing.

Akiva Miller