[Avodah] Brisk

Dr. Isaac Balbin isaac at balb.in
Thu Mar 14 23:15:36 PDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:48:40PM -0400, Micha Berger wrote:
: 3- I more than once expounded the model that there are 3-sheheim-4
: categories of concerns that a poseiq needs to consider.
:
:     1- textual strength
:        a- compilling sevara
:        b- source authority (acharei rabim lehatos or halakhah keR
:    2- mimetic strength -- what are people doing? How broad of a
:       swath of the qehillah?

:    3- hashkafic argument - only as a fall back, but what best fits
:       the sho'el's or poseiq's worldview...

: But lomdus doesn't take #2 into account. And #3.... Brisk is pretty
: much a hashkafah of not having a hashkafah! (With RYBS's existential
: exploration in post-facto "halachic hermeneutics" -- as he puts it --
: lessons we can take from the din, not really an exception. Because they
: are just that, post facto lessons, not claims of possible reality a
: pesaq should accomodate.)

The Mesora is huge in Brisk. Not sure how you discount the mimetic
tradition? Look at the brouhaha regarding Techeiles...

In that matter I think R Asher Weiss made up his mind and then formed
a Psak relying on the inauthenticity of archeology...

Would you not say Rav Schachter pasken through the Rav's lens?

Sent with brevity and typos from my iPhone