[Avodah] Not Embarassing Others -- Social Media

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sat Mar 16 20:05:15 PDT 2019

I just posted on the Other-Focused Orthodoxy - Mevaqshei Tov veYosher
group on Facebook:
    Two shiurim by Rav Yonatan Ziring should be required reading for any
    Jew who wants to be both Torah observant and a user of social media.

    Shiur #22: The Dangers of the Shame Storm - Public Humiliation in
    Halakha Part I
    https://www.etzion.org.il/en/shiur-22-dangers-shame-storm-public-humiliation-halakha-part-i
    Shiur #23: Cyberbullying - Public Humiliation in Halakha Part II
    https://www.etzion.org.il/en/shiur-23-cyberbullying-public-humiliation-halakha-part-ii

Rabbeinu Yonah's position (discussed there) is that Tamar's protecting
Yehudah was halachic, rather than lifnim mishuras hadin. Hamalbin
penei chaveiro is a kind of retzichah, and therefore included in
yeihareig ve'al ya'avor.

So I was wondering... Would Rabbeinu Yonah go so far as to say that
a Ben Noach who knowingly embarasses another is chayav misah?

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger             What we do for ourselves dies with us.
micha at aishdas.org        What we do for others and the world,
http://www.aishdas.org   remains and is immortal.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Albert Pine