[Avodah] derech psak

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 6 23:47:54 PST 2019

'RARR opined that this is because lomdus makes it hard to pasqen. (And
his theory seems to make a lot of sense to me.) In lomdus the focus of
your learning is to see how both sides make sense. The better you are
at it, the harder it is going to be to pick sides. Brisker chumeros,
being machmir to be chosheish for all shitos, is a natural consequence.
But pasqening requires picking a favorite. And it requires giving some
level of credance to precedent, not only to how compelling one finds
the sevara.'

In more general terms I've never heard or seen anyone accept a posek or otherwise on the basis of his shita in learning. It seems to be more a question of overall breadth and depth of learning plus aptitude for halacha l'maaseh in the eyes of contemporaries.
So I'm not sure why anyone would accept R Weiss as a posek based on his attitude to Brisker lomdus. That's just not the criteria by which the olam is machshiv a posek. Even at RIETS.

Ben